Saturday, August 30, 2008

I'm Starting a Garden Blog :)



I desperately need to remember what I do and when I do it! I am pathetic. I've lost so many brain cells and the only reasoning is giving birth. I rarely drink I don't do drugs... I think my son stole half of my brain. Alas he is a smart kid.


So if anytime is the time to start thinking about keeping proper records it is now, because I can only go down hill from here. I'll take a few picks to show where things are at here now.

We moved in here Oct 2006. We have bought our first house, started renovating then found about 2 weeks after moving in I was up the duff :) There must be something about getting your own place. A friend of mine fell pregnant around the same time, just as they moved into their place they had been building.






So that now leaves my son at 13mths. Me at home, playing stay at home mum, and trying to find some time to do the things I enjoy. Luckily for me he likes the outdoors and even follows me around with his little plastic watering can :)








I will start to take proper photos so I can see some progress. Sometimes I forget I am actually getting somewhere.

What I want is to grow as many productive fruits and veggies as I can maintain and afford. And to throw in a few pretty bee attracting ornamental's and keep the place somewhat presentable.








I want chickens and worms and compost and happiness :) We are doing good so far. Husband constructed 3 good sized compost bays out of corrugated iron. We cut down all the old grapefruit trees that we filling up all of the backyard. Don't worry (I hear those gasps) they will be replaced with things a little more appropriate to us. The trees were lovely but I don't eat them, don't have many friends who do and my god they made a mess.

I have jazzied up the front yard a bit with some bits and pieces taken from cuttings from my neighbor Stella. Who unfortunately passed away last week :( But at least for now I have her lovely garden across the street to look at and remind me of her.

Nothing is really organized. I figure most of that stuff I can change later if I wish.

From our wedding money husband got a playstation3 (which I use too :) ) and I scored a trip to bunnings where we got together enough stuff to build one good sized patch which so far seems allocated for a heap of tomatoes this season.

I don't eat tomatoes but I'm bitten by the tomato bug. They are just so useful. There is always someone who would like to be handed a nice fresh homegrown tomato.

I have a small water tank of 200lts out the front. It actually proves quiet useful for its small size. So far so good :)




So that's a pretty general overview of where I am at :)

Now I will leave you hanging waiting for the next gripping installment of dl's trials and tribulations in the garden.

Happy thieving.

No comments: