Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Getting Somewhere!



So today I got Granny to watch the little one for an hour or so so that I could run around and do a couple of things to save my sanity.  

I finally got those Jerusalem Artichokes into the ground!  I have put them near the back fence hoping they will help do some screen while being pretty and edible.  I am aware that they can act like weed tho, I I kept them about 1 mtr out from their fencline and I will just have to make sure I'm a good girl and keep them thinned out.  I'm sure I will work something out.  

The lemongrass went down there too, and tonight I ran down there to give them another drink and popped some Nasturtium seeds in for good measure.  There is a good corner of the yar that should be pretty well free of grass and weeds now.  

I have been using cardboard and grass clippings because I am cheep :)  I want to keep my good mulch for garden beds, not just for choking out grasses. 

I got some seeds from a swap in the mail today too:)!  Very happy about that.  

seeds:   Lettuce 'cos verdi'  Greenpatch exp Jun 2009
Sweet Basil Greenpatch exp Dec 2009
Tomato 'tommy toe' Greenpatch exp Jun 2010
Tomato 'grosse lisse' Diggers exp - bought sept 2008

These were in exchange for some eggplant and zucchs that I got from lost seed.

On the weekend I also went to the local council nursery and got my 8 free plants!  wee.  

I got a Gardenia 'florida, 2x coastal rosemary, peaflower, hovea, hairy bush tree, texas sage and a tarragon.  Not bad for free!

So I have been spending my nights (the hour or so before the boy wakes up again ;'()  out the front digging in the dark putting in some of these shrubs.  They should look very pretty when they flower :)  I am pretty excited about watching them grow and fill the yard.  

I think I will draw a little map of things to keep track of where I am at and take a few photos.  I keep saying that but lets see if/when I get around to it.  

No comments: