Sunday, December 14, 2008

A quick update



So we have survived a few huge storms, the heat is getting dreadful and it has been very windy.  But things are still powering on.  

  • The potatoes are flowering and looking like they may be starting to die off.
  • The corn has flowered and we are already picking a few fresh cobs here and there.  I will try to save some to aclimatise it.
  • My Lost Seed zucchinies are doing terribly.  I don't know if it is where I put them, or all the wet weather.  But the non-open pollinated ones were doing great, but I was stupid and pulled them out to make room for the new ones.
  • My pair of Golden nugget pumpkins are fruitung.  I had pollinated a couple to try make seed saving 100% 
  • I have had cucumbers coming out of the wazoo
  • Am just now starting to get a few small tomatoes forming.  Absolutly no luck with them this year!
  • Lemon tree is getting lots of folliage.
  • Picked 2 garlick corms, but they have been very slow to form, I may try the elephant one that is meant to do well up here.
  • Beans have done great, but they are quiet tough and dry.  They are fine for cooking but not that great fresh.  But Oliver doesn't seem to mind too much :)  He happily walks up and picks and eats them.
  • I've added a few more herbs. Choc Mint, Lemon Basil, Tarragon. Got some Lollo Rosso Lettuce Seedlings from bunnines, but they are so bitter, and I made sure to keep them watered and fed.  They look like they might instantly bolt to see also. 
  • Mulberry cuttings have struck.

I'm thinking I will plant another batch of corn, the Small blue popcorn doesn't seem to be sprouting.  They can fill the compost bays.  Otherwise the weeds are trying to take over.  

The yard is a mess, all the rain has made everything take over.  

No comments: