Thursday, January 29, 2009

Meal Planning

So since getting a couple of decent cook books and the like I have been starting to get more organised with making our dinners.

But on further reading of Rhonda's blog http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com and reading about her home journal and all of her planning details, in particular meal plans I have become even more inspired.  

I'm still at the very start, trying to figure out what we can get within the budget ect, but over time this will even out and I will have a proper idea.  

But for starters this week, I have chosen 6 meals, which I am hoping to spread over the fortnight really (but I doubt it), if we can manage it.   But that will include a couple of ring in nights of baked beans on toast, or toasted sandwiches, omelet or veg pasta.  

I am working around these meals:
  1. Vegetable Fritatta with salad  (no meat so cheap)
  2. Savory Mince Ragout with veg (double serve so will also be made into a Shepard's pie or lasagna, I will see how far we can stretch this one as technically if it is just the 2 of us we might be able to get 3 serves each out of it )
  3. Chickpea Curry (no meat again, rice and maybe naan bread will be good fillers)
  4. Cauliflower soup (no meat.  I hope we like it :/, this one may just be for lunches, not sure yet)
  5. Beef and Beer stew (this one was nice!, and its a big hearty meal we can spread over 2 nights and have some for little oliver)
  6. Hot dogs.  (yes we are cheep enough to eat these :P)
I will settle with that to make sure I can stay under the budget, and trial things a little.  

So the food shopping list this week (not that you care, but just for my own reference):

  • 1kg beef mince
  • 500g stewing beef
  • 12 frankfurts
  • bananas
  • 8 onions
  • 2kg carrots
  • 2 zucchini
  • 1/2 pumpkin
  • 1kg potatoes
  • 1 bunch celery
  • 1 cauliflower
  • salad ingredients, lettuce, cuc, cap, red onion
  • 1kg cheese
  • rice, pasta,
  • baked beans
  • olive oil
  • milk, bread
  • 6x diced tom cans
  • 2x chick pea cans
  • garam masala spice
  • coriander seeds
  • 500ml ale
  • mayo
  • dog food
  • chicken food
  • ham
So we will see how much that comes to, and how long it feeds us for.  But if I am organised, and know what I will be cooking, and what meals will best uses up the perishables ect we should, in theory, save money and avoid take away.  Which we are guilty of resorting too often, when things just get too hard or disorganised.  

Now I just need to stay committed.  I'm sure the benefits will make it worthwhile, as long as hubby and I are on the same page.  

We do have some things available at home like eggs, beans, eggplant the odd bit of home grown stuff, but I'll get into more detail about that the more sorted I get :)

P.S  We got these things and a few extra things like dog food, nappies, cat food and cerial for $163.  Not too bad.  It was worse when I was getting the things needed in the pantry.  I still don't have it all but as I need it I am getting it.  I have the stuff for curries and pies at least.  


  • Sat: Porridge, Noodles, Hot dogs
  • Sun: Cereal, nibbles, Hot dogs  (I find the weekends hardest to be organised or have the motivation to do much cooking so I thought I would use this to my advantage.  Mind you the bread rolls aren't lasting well.
  • Mon: I think I will make the savory mince and also use it in a Shepard's pie or lasagna.  (this was Shepard's pie with veggies)
  • Tues:  Shepard's Pie/or Lasagna (I froze the Lasagna for next week.  the rest of the mince tonight, with some salad or veggies)  Also made a banana cake today.  
  • Wed: Veg Fritatta and Salad.  I might make potato salad.  (Was a hit!)
  • Thurs: Baked beans on toast, or toasted sandwiches.  The rest of the fritatta if there are leftovers. 
  • Fri: Chick Pea Curry with rice.  




No comments: